16 Jan 2018

Stokes charged, set to miss tri-series

6:18 am on 16 January 2018

England cricketer Ben Stokes has vowed to clear his name after being charged with affray following an incident in the city of Bristol last September.

Ben Stokes

Ben Stokes Photo: Photosport

Stokes, 26, and two other men are due to appear before Bristol Magistrates' Court at a date to be fixed.

The Durham all-rounder has not played for England since the incident outside a nightclub, missing out on the Ashes tour to Australia. He did play in six domestic matches in New Zealand in December.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has also given Stokes permission to play in the Indian Premier League, which starts in April.

The CPS said Avon and Somerset police had passed on a file of evidence on Nov. 29 in relation to the incident, which left a 27-year-old man with a fractured eye socket, and further material was received in late December.

The other two men charged were named as Ryan Ali, 28, and Ryan Hale, 26.

Stokes was named last week in England's Twenty20 squad for a Tri-series against Australia and New Zealand next month but his participation was dependent on whether he was charged.

The ECB said they'll make a decision within 48 hours as to whether he'll remain in the squad, though it's likely he'll be dropped with the ECB earlier saying, "Stokes is included, though his involvement remains subject to any relevant legal or disciplinary developments in relation to the incident in Bristol in September."

"Should the ECB Board receive formal confirmation that Stokes has either been charged or that he will face no charges, they would convene within 48 hours to make a decision on his availability for the team at that stage."

Stokes issued a statement thanking those who had continued to support him.

"I gave a full and detailed account of my actions to the police on day one - the same day as the incident - and have cooperated at each step of the police inquiry," he said on Twitter.

"I am keen to have an opportunity to clear my name but, on advice, the appropriate time to do this is when the case comes to trial.

"The CPS' decision to charge me, as well as Ryan Ali and Ryan Hale, at least means that my account of what happened that night can come out in court and be made public. Until then, my focus is very much on cricket."

-Reuters